on chiropractic kids – should your children be getting adjusted?

posted in: For Patients! | 0

It is normal practice to take our children to see the dentist very early in life. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry declares that every child should have a dental check-up either at the appearance of their first tooth, or no later than his/her first birthday. Even though you do not keep your primary (or “baby”) teeth throughout the course of your life, it is important to take good care of them, as they help you speak clearly, chew properly, and will guide your permanent teeth into correct alignment. We take very good care of our teeth, going to great lengths to keep them clean, white, and straight. Our reflection in the mirror serves as excellent motivation to continue with our dental hygiene routine.

How about our spines? I recommend that every child should see a chiropractor and receive any indicated adjustments as soon as possible. Keep reading to find out why.

 

Your spine houses and protects your nervous system.

 

Every thought you’ve ever had, movement you’ve ever made and sensation you’ve ever experienced has been dependent on nerve messages flowing freely throughout your body. Your brain and spinal cord are protected by your skull and the 24 movable bones of your spine.

-Dr. Jennifer Barham-Floreani

 

Most babies could use an adjustment!

 

Every child’s birth is a beautiful event. But it is rarely stress free. In fact, a study by Viola Fraymann, an osteopath, looked at over 1,500 babies. The children were examined within their first 5 days of life, some within their first 24 hours. They found that only 10% of these newborns had freely mobile cranial bones. On the other hand, 90% of the newborns involved in the study demonstrated strain through the neck and cranial area. Another study by Gutmann looked at over 1,000 newborn children and found that 80% of all newborns showed signs of nerve dysfunction.

A literature review by Gottlieb published in the JMPT looked at the cause, diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, and prevention of injuries acquired through birth trauma. His conclusion:

Birth trauma remains an underpublicized and, therefore, an undertreated problem. There is a need for further documentation and especially more studies directed toward prevention. In the meantime, manual treatment of birth trauma injuries to the neuromusculoskeletal system could be beneficial to many patients not now receiving such treatment, and it is well within the means of current practice in chiropractic and manual medicine.

Chiropractic care is a safe, proactive way to protect your child’s developing spine and nervous system

 

Children who experience birth trauma, falls when learning to walk, bumps to the head, spend time sitting in a car seat, or have ‘screen time’, are likely developing with misalignments in their spines. The sooner you get them checked by a chiropractor, the better! Enabling your child to grow with a healthy spine will help protect them from difficulties later in life. Most of the spinal problems that I see in adults began very early on. It is much easier to correct misalignments in children before years of scar tissue and degeneration have a chance to develop.

Adjustments given to children are very gentle, and among the safest procedures in healthcare. While all chiropractors are trained to adjust children, some will have more experience than others. The best way to find a good pediatric chiropractor is through word of mouth. If you are still having trouble, try looking at the ICPA Find a Chiropractor tool.

Do you take your children to your chiropractor? Do you have any questions? Let me know in the comments below!

Cheers,

-DrC

Leave a Reply